Few artists like Shakira have left an eternal impression on the dynamic and ever-changing landscape of music and entertainment.
Shakira has not only wowed the globe with her music but has also imparted essential life lessons via her journey, thanks to her captivating presence, diverse talent, and a career spanning numerous decades. Shakira's personal and professional journey offers a treasury of insight that stretches far beyond the arena of notoriety, in addition to her chart-topping tunes and electrifying performances.
This essay digs into five significant life lessons we can draw from Shakira's incredible journey, ranging from accepting diversity to exhibiting persistence in the face of adversity.
1. Love and Respect for Parents
Shakira has shown her affection for and admiration for her parents professionally and personally. She encourages us to value and appreciate our parents' counsel and unconditional love. When her father got ill, she has always been the perfect daughter for her parents William Mebarak and Nidia Ripoll.
Shakira is a single child of Nidia and William Mebarak Chadid, although she has eight older half-siblings from her father's first marriage.Shakira has always had a natural interest in music and poetry.
Her father William Mebarak, who would sit and type stories on a typewriter while she was captivated by his imagination, impacted her enthusiasm.
She wrote the song "Tus gafas oscuras" [Your dark spectacles] for him when she was eight years old because he spent a year hiding his grief by wearing glasses after losing one of his sons in an accident.
She became curious about her family's cultural heritage, thanks to William. She first saw the doumbek, a classic drum used in Middle Eastern music that frequently accompanies belly dancing, when her dad took her to a nearby Middle Eastern restaurant when she was four.
The event changed Shakira's life. She decided to live on stage after being moved by the rhythm and music.
When her father celebrated his 91st birthday following his recovery, the singer uploaded a touching video of the two speaking Spanish together. She continued by writing: "Happy birthday to the hero of my life!
"Daddy, you've had COVID, two falls and two operations. It's been a lot this year, and you're still, at 91 years old, teaching me resilience and limitless love every day."
The Colombian Artist released a video on social media showing how she helps her father with brain stimulation activities. Her father became unwell on May 28 last year. Shakira herself confirmed it, claiming to have followed him in the ambulance. She took care of her father even though her husband betrayed her.
According to People Magazine, Shakira confirmed that her partner Gerard Piqué "betrayed" her while her father was very ill in the hospital after getting hurt in an accident. After marriage for over a decade, the singer-songwriter and former football player Gerard announced their divorce last year.
The artist has referred to her father as a "hero" and praised him for his tenacity while he battled a serious medical issue. She recently moved to Miami to care for her father, who needs a new operation after being torn apart from Piqué and leaving Spain.
2. Turning Pain into Triumph
Shakira's journey of turning personal pain into artistic triumph began with the turmoil caused by her husband's betrayal. Instead of succumbing to despair, she harnessed the intense emotions triggered by this betrayal as a wellspring of inspiration. This pivotal moment ignited a surge of creativity within her, motivating her to translate her feelings into art that would connect with others who had experienced similar heartache.
Shakira claimed that music helped her through a terrible period following her breakup with Gerard Pique, during which her father was also hospitalized.
In an interview, the Waka Waka hitmaker opened up about the most difficult time of her life, when her world came "crashing down" after learning of Gerard's betrayal during her father's illness.
"When I felt I was losing my identity, music helped me reconnect with my true self." "It was my mirror," the Columbian singer told the magazine about the time after her breakup with Gerard.
After teaming up with the 24-year-old Argentine DJ and producer Gonzalo JuliAin Conde, the couple scored a No.1 and four Guinness World Records titles.
The song, uploaded on YouTube on January 12, targets Shakira's ex, Gerard Pique. Shakira sings: “I'm worth two 22s”, "You traded a Ferrari for a Twingo", "You traded your Rolex for a Casio... A lot of gyms, but work your brain a little bit too."
This song broke the record for the most viewed Latin tune on YouTube in 24 hours, with 63,000,000 views, and then became the fastest Latin track to surpass 100 million views on YouTube.
3. Unconditional Love for Children
Shakira's dedication to her children goes beyond the typical role of a celebrity parent. Her actions and choices exemplify the qualities of a loving and supportive caregiver.
Her relationship with her sons showcases a deeply involved and nurturing parenting approach that extends beyond the bounds of fame.
Shakira's commitment to actively involving her children in her life is both heartwarming and instructive.
Shakira launched the official video for her song "Acróstico" just after Mother's Day. The touching song is a heartfelt message to her two children, Milan and Sasha. The emotional words express her unwavering love for her children and how a mother can transform sadness into strength.
Shakira's sensitive side shines through in the song, which she dedicates to her children, Milan and Sasha. If it needs to be clarified enough, look at the song's lyrics.
The initial letter of each line of the first stanza, read straight from top to bottom, makes Milan's name, and the same repeats with her other child, Sasha, in the middle of the song.
"Me enseñaste que el amor no es una estafa, y que cuando es real no se acaba
Intenté que no me veas llorar, que no vieras mi fragilidad, pero
Las cosas no son siempre como las soñamos
A veces corremos, pero no llegamos
Nunca dudes que aquí voy a estar"
Se nos rompió solo un plato no toda la vajilla, y aunque no sé poner la otra mejilla
Aprender a perdonar es de sabios, que solo te salga amor de esos labios
Si las cosas se dañan no se botan, se reparan, los problemas se afrontan y se encaran
Hay que reírse de la vida
A pesar de que duelan las heridas
What truly sets Shakira's parenting approach apart is her respect for her sons' opinions and input. She values their perspectives and actively seeks their advice, even regarding her career decisions.
She recently claimed that her son Milan was instrumental in developing her viral hit, BZRP Music Sessions #53. In an interview with Billboard, the singer revealed that Milan introduced her to Argentine music producer Bizarrap and encouraged her to work with him.
In a recent interview, Shakira revealed, "You have to make my mum work with Bizarrap." Milan's thoughts and recommendations profoundly affected the song's energetic and catchy tone. The singer confesses that working with Bizarrap was her son Milan's idea.
4. Lifelong Learning and Adaptation
"I'm a closet nerd. I love to study history and visit museums".
Shakira's journey is an inspiration to people from every walk of life. Her narrative emphasizes the significance of lifelong learning.Shakira is well-known worldwide for her distinct vocals, dance abilities, and multilingual chart-topping tunes. With such a global following and a fan base that spans continents, it's natural that Shakira speaks a few languages.
The Colombian artist is fluent in seven languages, including her native Spanish, English, French, Italian, Arabic, Catalan, and Portuguese.
She intended to be able to ensure that everything in her lyrics was clear when her label sought to distribute her music in other languages.
As a result, she took it upon herself to acquire more languages to keep the message of her songs intact.
5. Leaving a Lasting Legacy
Shakira is creating a legacy beyond her music and performances by prioritizing philanthropy alongside her artistic achievements. Her work indicates that true fulfilment comes from making an impact in people's lives and helping to causes that align with one's ideals.
Shakira's commitment to education began with the establishment of the Pies Descalzos Foundation. Shakira's Foundation has significantly impacted education in Colombia, and it just awarded the Portfolio Award (2022) for "Contribution to the Community." So far, the Pies Descalzos Foundation has taught over 1,000 instructors, influenced over 300,000 children and their families, constructed nine educational institutions and spaces (with seven more on the way), and improved 79 public schools.
Her Foundation has also announced plans to assist in renovating a school in Uribia, La Guajira, Colombia, to provide poor students with access to high-quality education.
Shakira expressed her dedication to the movement on Instagram, underscoring the significance of education in shaping a brighter tomorrow. She called upon the Colombian government to take further action, stating, "We persist in our efforts and appeal for increased support from governmental entities and corporations, aiming to provide our children with a top-notch education and a future that surpasses their current circumstances."
The Uribia school will teach around 1,200 pupils, providing them with a balanced education, appropriate facilities, and essential resources. Pies Descalzos hopes to create a nurturing learning atmosphere that encourages innovative thinking, critical thinking, and personal development.
10 facts you didn't Know about Shakira
Are you curious about some of Shakira's more interesting facts? Continue reading to find out more.
1. Most people know that Shakira signed her first record deal at 13 with Sony Music Colombia. But did you know that at just 10, she started competing in singing and belly dancing?
2. Even an internationally recognized figure like Shakira grapples with life's obstacles. Her initial tragedy involved losing one of her siblings in a car accident caused by a drunk driver when she was merely two years old.
3.Shakira comes from a distinguished lineage. Her music consistently mirrors the rich blend of cultural influences stemming from her Lebanese father and Colombian mother, with a touch of Italian heritage.
4. Despite being her mother's sole offspring, Shakira is the youngest among her father's nine children.
5. It's widely recognized that Shakira is skilled in Spanish and English. However, her linguistic abilities go well beyond this. Alongside her mastery of Portuguese, Italian, and French, she is also a natural speaker of Catalan, an Arabic dialect used in specific areas of Spain.
6. During a 2002 conversation with Rolling Stone, Shakira asserted that she had "always had a sense" that fame awaited her, describing it as a "premonition." She admitted in the same interview that she had once foreseen having two sons. Her sons, Milan and Sasha, are now 7 and 5, respectively.
7. Shakira released her English language single 'Underneath Your Clothes' in 2002, a Bangles-style ballad about a lady in love. The love song did well internationally, topping the charts in Australia, Belgium, and Austria and going platinum in three countries. However, it was less well received in Argentina. The country prohibited the sale of Shakira's albums because the video featured her lover, the son of disgraced Argentine president Fernando de la Rara. Tower Records Argentina, the record ban's architects, would subsequently emphasize that the move was a political protest against the De la Rua family, not Shakira.
8. Shakira has the best belly dance moves in the world, but you might be surprised to learn that she has another long-time interest. She enjoys painting at home in Barcelona; her favourite subject is fried eggs. She claimed to have once owned a significant collection of egg paintings. She eventually discovered a passion for pottery and now displays her greatest pieces throughout the house.
9. Finally, a pop singer is open about disliking getting up early. Shakira has regarded her early am sessions as some of the most difficult in her career. She confesses that now that she's a celebrity with clout, she tries to keep studio sessions until 11 am. She despises waking up before the sun, and who can blame her since she doesn't drink coffee?
10. Shakira said in an interview that she is a super smeller, a person with a powerful sense of smell who can identify people based solely on their odour. While her claim has yet to be proven, if accurate, the Colombian singer could be one of only a handful of hyperosmia people in the world. The olfactory syndrome creates a heightened sense of smell, and persons with it can discern specific notes in wines, smell people approaching before seeing them, and detect hidden ailments in some unusual situations.
22 inspiring quotes from Shakira
- "You can't achieve anything in life without a small amount of sacrifice."- Shakira
- "The worst mistake of a woman is to go to the kitchen, because then she never gets out of there".
- "I believe education is the key. As an activist and a child of the developing world, I witnessed education's power to transform lives."
- "I know what it's like to feel that fear and the need for affirmation and appreciation. To build confidence in yourself is the toughest thing." – Shakira.
- "When a woman faces life she comes out stronger."
- "We have to promote human solidarity, avoid indifference, and play a part with society in solving the problem of violence…" – Shakira.
- "I prefer an ugly truth to a pretty lie. If someone is telling me the truth, that is when I will give my heart." ~ Shakira
- "Live your life to the fullest." ~ Shakira
- "Everyone can know what is in my heart because I find it hard to conceal myself." – Shakira.
- "Relationships have to have a give and take if they're going to work in the long term." – Shakira.
- "I consider myself a laborer, building my career brick over brick under the sun." ~ Shakira
- Despite getting recognition and success, I still had to work hard and prove myself. Shakira
- "In the full light of day, I don't want to think about the sunset." ~ Shakira
- "If you can prove the existence of God, it can only be proven through love." ~ Shakira
- "I think this generation can play a very important role. If we act now, this could be the first generation to witness universal education." ~ Shakira
- "Becoming a mother has taught me to simplify things and also to appreciate being at home more." ~ Shakira
- "I'm someone who has always been very stubborn and strong-willed. I never gave up." ~ Shakira
- "You want to be skinny and have a good body? You have to work out every day and say no to certain foods." ~ Shakira
- "There is no other investment that has the kind of social multiplier effect that early education has. It is an incredible thing to nurture and watch grow and spread." ~ Shakira
- "A good fragrance should have a certain personality that makes people identify the scent with you." ~ Shakira
- "It doesn't matter if you are a musician, a business leader, a president or a student. We all have a responsibility to give back." Shakira
- "There's no better makeup than self-confidence." Shakira