Personal stylist and image strategist
Polina Bregman, a personal stylist and image strategist, has gleaned from her experience that improving one's external image can significantly enhance the present moment of life.
Contemporary stylists in the fashion scene refrain from categorizing people solely by their figure and colour preferences. Nevertheless, possessing fundamental knowledge about body shapes can answer many personal style questions regarding clothing and colours that best suit one's appearance.
So, let's explore how to determine your body shape without resorting to fruit comparisons!
The first body shape we'll delve into is the classic "Hourglass."
An Hourglass figure is characterized by shoulders aligned with the hips, while the waist is significantly narrower. Please think of the visual harmony stylists strive to achieve for their clients. A well-known example of this figure is the stunning Scarlett Johansson.
If you identify with the Hourglass body shape, it's crucial to accentuate your waist and embrace fitted or semi-tight styles. Avoiding oversized and straight cuts will be beneficial in highlighting your naturally balanced proportions.
Next up is the "Pear" body shape, where the hips are wider than the shoulders and chest.
This figure often features a soft shoulder line, much like the graceful Jennifer Lopez.
If you fall into the Pear body shape category, fear not, as there are simple rules to enhance your appearance:
• Opt for bottoms (jeans, skirts, shorts, etc.) fitted at the waist.
• Draw attention to the top part of your outfit.
• Minimise accents on the bottom half (decorations, prints, etc.).
• Consider straight-leg jeans, which work wonders for this body shape.
Steer clear of medium and low-fitting underwear, and instead, opt for fitted styles for your upper garments (straight is preferable).
The "Inverted Triangle" body shape is characterized by beautifully broad shoulders and a narrower pelvis.
This figure often resembles that of models and looks fantastic in oversized and low-rise jeans.
If you find yourself fitting the Inverted Triangle body shape, consider these tips:
• Shift the focus away from the top and draw attention downward.
• Overalls, dresses, and sweaters with open shoulders will flatter your figure.
• Embrace oversized and low-rise jeans for a chic and effortless look.
You might have a "Combination" or "Rectangle" body shape if you don't neatly fit into any of the mentioned shapes.
A Rectangle body shape features shoulders at the same level as the hips, with minimal waist definition – the classic model-like physique. The good news is that, similar to the Inverted Triangle body shape, a wide variety of styles suits you impeccably!
Here are a few tips for the Rectangle body shape:
• Opt for fitted underwear that accentuates your waist, creating a more feminine silhouette.
• Choose dense fabrics that exude luxury and gracefully complement your figure.
• Strike a balance between your outfit's top and bottom halves; if the top features a bold print, pair it with wide-cut bottoms, or incorporate a print or vibrant colour into the lower half.
• Create vertical lines in your outfits with strategic prints or asymmetric clothing styles, like pairing a shirt with shorts, as shown in the photo.
Understanding your body shape empowers you to make thoughtful choices in your wardrobe, ultimately leading to a more confident and stylish you.
Remember, fashion is all about self-expression, and by embracing your unique figure, you'll effortlessly radiate beauty and grace in any outfit you wear!
Please follow my INSTAGRAM page, where exciting transformations and discoveries await you.